Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Implanted Defects

Wednesday, July 24, 2013:

A PARTICULAR PATTERN

The masters tell us that there is an aspect of the mind that is its
fundamental basis, a state called “the ground of ordinary mind.” it functions as a storehouse, in which the imprints of past emotions are stored like seeds. When the right conditions arise, they germinate and manifest as circumstances and situations in our lives.
If we have a habit of thinking in a particular pattern, positive or negative, these tendencies will be triggered and provoked very easily, recur and go on recurring. With constant repetition our inclinations become more steadily entrenched, and continue, increasing and gathering power, even when we sleep. This is how they come to determine our life, our death, and our rebirth.


Glimpse After Glimpse,
Sogyal Rinpoche
&

This goes under the category of “why bother, I’m only human”. I’m only human so why should I fight so hard against my “fundamental basis”? If the good that I do is implanted as well as my character defects, then aren’t I fighting against nature? Something tells me that this thinking is one of those imprints that must be shaken off, like walnuts from a walnut tree, if I am to be free of impulses that would bind me. This takes effort but it is a mistake to think that I am wrestling moral depravity for the most part. For the most part my defects only affect my relationship with myself and others in annoying, maddening, or frustrating patterns: patterns that compel me to work against my better instincts… against my own wellbeing. I cross the line when these defects compel me into commonly perceived behavior that is considered immoral. This line is crossed when my behavior purposely, or unconsciously, harms myself or others.
So, what is to be done about it if these defects are implanted? That is too nice of an excuse. I believe that this is where prayer and meditation kicks in and I stop feeding myself with negative influences. I.e.; the music, the poetry, my taste in movies; all of my tastes in these are usually dark. That doesn’t mean that I burn my old CD’s or try to ban dark movies, but rather, it means that I take some time to feed myself with positive energy. This means that, when I see something wrong with the world, I work on solutions instead of sitting around bitching about it. As the Saint Francis prayer recommends: when I see hatred, I bring love; when I see discord, I bring harmony; when I see despair, I bring hope; when I see doubt, I bring faith; when I see shadows, I bring light; when I see sadness, I bring joy. This is a tall enough order but more positive that beating myself up for my shortcomings.
  geo 5,413

No comments:

Post a Comment