Tuesday, July 16, 2013

When Superstition Was Science

Tuesday, July 16, 2013:

When Astrology Was Science
I find it curious, as I think back on it, Mercury went retrograde right after Bonnie’s surgery. You astrologers know that Mercury is the planet associated with communication and the medical arts/sciences. An astrologer would have advised us to wait on the surgery until the planet was no longer retrograde. They would've said that it is no wonder at all that Bonnie’s surgery went well but that she had a difficult time recovering. In retrospect, I would have to give them that much. However skeptical I might be of what I consider to be oogah-boogah sciences, I can suspend my beliefs enough to allow room for beliefs I think of as primitive, superstitious, and of no discernible consequence. I am grateful for the skills and the knowledge gained by medical practice since science superseded superstition, but that doesn't mean that I sneer at what practitioners have employed for aeons before the ascension of the sciences. After all, I had to set aside my biases against the power of the Heart of Compassion to see that there was a better way of living that incorporated beliefs beyond my limited comprehension. I haven’t abandoned my preferences towards scientific empiricism in my spiritual practice. I simply employ that which works and shelve that which I don’t understand under the category of “To Be Revealed”.
geo 5,406


No comments:

Post a Comment