Saturday, July 27, 2013

Mind Essence

Saturday, July 27, 2013:
 
If you are happy in meditating on your self-mind,
You should know that disturbing thoughts are a manifestation of
     the mind.
Therefore, identify your self with the mind essence.

Hundred Thousand Songs: Selections from
Milarepa, Poet Saint of Tibet

&

Mind essence: What is it exactly? Where is it located? What does it do? We think of the mind as that organic computer between our ears. But that mind is changeable… a head injury or chemical imbalance ought to convince us of that. When one of us is derailed we say he has lost his mind. But really, who is running the show? The heart is still beating… yes, I know… that is directed from the brain, but still, I suspect more is going on because, when I admit my faults to myself,…. who is it I am admitting them to?  Who is it that I am putting the mask on when I go to work to present myself to others? If the mind is nothing more than a set of neurons directed from central command between the ears, then do we lose some of it when a leg is cut off? I know, a neurologist could explain most of the ghost-leg experience of amputees, I’m sure… but really, don’t we all suspect something else is going on there? 
When I make up my mind to do something difficult, I am doing something quite miraculous because there is an outer union with the inner reality that goes on in that decision. When I believed something that there is little evidence of, I have created a new and better life for me, what is that? I suspect that this union is where I connect with something greater than myself. I call it the Heart of Compassion because it was in the heart of compassion that I experienced this mysterious union. Others call it God and that is okay with me because what is important about it is the experience and not the name it is called.

geo 5,416

No comments:

Post a Comment