Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Is Justice Blind?

Wednesday, July 17, 2013,
The Courage of Convictions

There could be no bigger mistake than to think that ignorance is somehow dumb and stupid, or passive and lacking in intelligence. On the contrary, it is shrewd and cunning, versatile and ingenious in the games of deception, and in our wrong views and their burning convictions we find one of its deepest and, as Buddha said, most dangerous manifestations;

What do you have to fear from the wild elephant
Who can only damage your body here and now,
When falling under the influence of misguided people
and wrong views
Not only destroys the merit you have accumulated in the
   past,
But also blocks your path to freedom in the future!

Glimpse After Glimpse
Sogyal Rinpoche

&

I can be absolutely right about my convictions and completely wrong about the spirit in which I express them. There was a time when I jumped on band-wagons to express outrage at every injustice… imagined or real. Today I am more cautious and lend my spirit to causes only after going through a checklist to search my motives:
·         Am I acting out of guilt… afraid to take no stand lest I be judged by others?
·         Do I have first-hand knowledge or am I being led by the convictions or charisma of others?
·         Am I motivated by even a hint of revenge or anger?
·         Am I compelled by ego to ride above the common crowd on my high-horse to save or lead others?
·         Am I motivated by fear?
·         Have I taken time to sit with myself and seek guidance from the Heart of Compassion?
·         Am I trying to solve the problem rather than provoking divisiveness?

These are but a cursory review before I put my signature on a petition, stand in protest, or take the opposite view. My heart goes out in sympathy for the family of Trayvon Martin (though I cannot understand the anguish and despair they must feel). But I am also aware that there are demagogues who exploit feelings while they are raw; whether I feel George Zimmermann’s conviction was just or that the law caused a great injustice to the Martin family. I have to take the time to seek out my own heart on the matter before I fly off the handle with raw emotion either way. It takes a certain amount of restrain and fearlessness to take this position but I have faith that time proves me out more often than not and my mind is free to explore the solutions. This is true in personal relationships as well as in national conflicts.
geo 5,407


No comments:

Post a Comment