Saturday, May 5, 2012

Bathing the Baby Buddha



Trying to be right and kind with an eye for the perfection of the Heart of Compassion is no simple task if I expect to achieve it on any ambitious and grand scale. However, I can take the concept of perfection in the little things and, absolving myself of the failures and shortcomings of my daily affairs; it is possible to at least proceed in kindness to others. Thich Nhat Hanh’s description of perfection in the Miracle of Mindfulness asserts: “I clean this teapot with the kind of attention I would have were I giving the baby Jesus a bath. Nothing should be treated more carefully than anything else. In mindfulness; compassion, irritation, and teapot are all the same.” This is a simple thing to try but not so easy unless we see it in this way. Any parent who has ever given their child a bath knows how loving, kind and pleasant this chore can be if it is done selflessly and in the moment.


geo, 4,693

No comments:

Post a Comment