Thursday, May 24, 2012

A Double-Edged Sword


TWELVE STEPS AND
TWELVE TRADITIONS

Step One
(Continued…p. 22)

When first challenged to admit defeat, most of us revolted. We approached AA expecting to be taught self-confidence. Then we had been told that so far as alcohol is concerned, self-confidence was no good whatever; in fact, it was a total liability…. we were the victims of a mental obsession so powerful that no amount of human power could break it. There was, they said, no such thing as the personal conquest of this compulsion by the unaided will… The tyrant alcohol wielded a double-edged sword over us: first we were smitten by an insane urge that condemned us to go on drinking, and then by an allergy of the body that insured we would ultimately destroy ourselves in the process. Few indeed were those who, so assailed, had ever won through in singlehanded combat. It was a statistical fact that alcoholics almost never recovered on their own resources. And this had been true, apparently, ever since man had first crushed grapes.

۞۞۞۞۞

I had a very good friend who had been struggling with addiction to alcohol, heroine and cocaine. One night I gave her a ride home from jail after she had been arrested for her own protection. The police found her wandering the streets in a drug induced daze the night before. I marveled because this woman had been sober a few months and this arrest… for whatever reason… was a violation of her parole for some serious felonies. As we drove in silence my mind raced for some sort of lecture, even a word or two, a gesture… like a slap on her face or something Zen that would snap her attention. Truthfully, I was afraid for myself as well as her because I knew that it would be so easy for me to do the same. Finally, I couldn’t restrain myself, “Why, with all that is hanging over you… why did you do it?”
            Her response was the best I have ever heard from anyone in this situation… she didn’t answer defiantly with a list of offenses, excuses and faults… of other people or herself… nor did she cry out in the despair I knew she must have felt… she simply and flatly answered; “Because I am an addict.”
            Those four words said it all. The first step in recovery is not to parrot these words but to know what they mean deeply… to admit it thoroughly… She saw her self as she is with humility and acceptance. She got serious about her recovery from that day on. Years later she told me that her answer that night was what got her sober. She realized in those four words that no human power was going to do the trick for her and surrendered her addictions to God. It was the First Step in her recovery.


geo 4,712

No comments:

Post a Comment