Friday, May 25, 2012

Hopelessness... an Asset?


Hopelessness… despair… the “Dark night of the Soul”… the essential ingredient here… the pill I had to swallow before I could stand on my own two feet. It seems to be the password of the heart that opens the gateway into the spiritual landscape. I believe that it could be an absolute condition that is not exclusive to alcoholics and addicts. In fact, I have observed that most spiritual disciplines… for good or bad… insist that acolytes arrive with the humility only hopelessness induces. Cults find it easier to manipulate members if they can keep them in submission and of having the exclusive remedy for such hopelessness. However, the hopelessness that lifted my obsession was the sort that put me on my knees to no other human being… though humility directed me through the doors of AA, I was encouraged to proceed with certain steps that required I hold on to the humility of that hopelessness now that I was on the other side. I was encouraged to proceed humbly through anonymity towards the spiritual awakening that keeps me sober beyond that original submission. It is my belief… though I admit I don’t really know for sure… that people who aren’t addicts or alcoholics might have to admit to this hopelessness to experience the joy I have found in union with the Heart of Compassion. But perhaps it could be that only those of us who are sick souls are the ones who actually need it. I can admit that it could possibly be that healthy minded souls find sufficient spirituality without some kind of crises that requires the remedy of  said hopelessness. Humility has also taught me that I can only speak of my own experience where spiritual matters are concerned and to resist projecting it onto others… even other alcoholics or addicts.


 geo 4,713

No comments:

Post a Comment