Saturday, May 19, 2012

Indifference vs Letting Go


The admonition that I let go of all ambition for money, power and prestige does not mean I drop my hands to the side and do nothing. There is a distinct polarity between indifference and being released from grasping. As I go about my day, compassion opens my eyes to the suffering of others. I can offer a panhandler a sandwich in lieu of coin. Often this effort is rejected but my desire to please doesn’t compel me to reach into my pocket for him. It is better to step over or pass by without comment the man on the street than to provide him with the means to stay there. Giving him that means is not compassion… it is ego-flattery of the worse kind because it accomplishes nothing more for the panhandler than making me feel good about myself. The Heart of Compassion directs my soul to do what is best for the man and not what is best for me. Sometimes that amounts to nothing more than a kind word and simple direction. Other times it is more involving… like providing him with a razor and bar of soap and a can of chili. This is not indifference. The most destructive efforts to “help the poor” can be seen where neighborhoods were torn down and housing projects erected… all for the benefit of the “poor”. Another equally devastating hand is the way welfare is handed out that drives the father out of the house; thus rendering young men without a role model other than that of his peers in a gang. This misdirected concern for others causes more damage than indifference. When we try to help others it is better to do so in a manner that helps him rather than what is convenient for, and flatters, me.


geo 4,707

No comments:

Post a Comment