Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Breaking Anonymity


THE BEST OF BILL

ANONYMITY
Continued... (p. 77)

... The old files at AA headquarters reveal many scores of such experiences with broken anonymity. Most of them point up the same lessons.
            They tell us that we alcoholics are the biggest rationalizers in the world, that fortified with the excuse we are doing great things for AA we can, through broken anonymity, resume our old and disastrous pursuit of personal power and prestige, public honors, and money --- the same implacable urges that when frustrated once caused us to drink; the same forces that are today ripping the globe apart at its seams. Moreover, they make clear that enough spectacular anonymity breakers could someday carry our whole Society down into the ruinous dead end with them.

*****

This anonymity business is serious and it is for my own protection as well as AA’s. In this chapter Bill writes of his own adventures seeking public acknowledgement and notoriety for the “good of AA”. He gives examples of others setting up hospitals, sober boarding houses, promoting AA in newspapers, radio and so on. In the first twenty years of AA many members also contrived brilliant schemes for personal financial gain while, of course, in league with and for the good of our Fellowship. Now we have blogs, twitter and facebook where we can skirt this principal and bring attention to ourselves. It is a touchy subject and one that is not fully understood in this new age of personal exposure that was once the sole domain of celebrities. I want badly to extend my experience with recovery to all I can. It isn’t enough for me to preach to the choir and I know that my opinions are not always the official line advocated and approved by our General Services Office in New York. However, I know that I am okay as long as I don’t take a penny or give my whole name in the name of AA. I respect this Tradition and understand that it is not only for my own protection and the continuance of AA for future generations, but it is a spiritual foundation for the type of humility that opens the door to my own peace of mind.


geo 4,710

No comments:

Post a Comment