Wednesday, May 9, 2012

The Rock 'n' Roll of the Spheres


I will never forget the many childhood experiences I had while attending Sunday morning Catholic High Mass. In those days, before Vatican II, they didn’t have those annoying and preachy folk masses in English. You didn’t turn with superficial greetings of your neighbors in the pew or chat in the presence of the Host enshrined in the altar. And the words were in Latin so, as an extra bonus, I barely knew their meaning. But, as I knelt or sat in silence, I was able to hear in the resonance of it a similar experience I later heard it in a Bach Fugue, Beethoven’s Fifth or Chopin Etude. The visuals of the almost perfect mathematics of a cathedral or the random splatterings of paint on a Jackson Pollack canvas, also evoke the feeling the evolutionary forces towards consciousness first described by Darwin, or equations of Einstein (though I am almost entirely ignorant of mathematics), that there is order to the universe I am a minutely humble but vital participant of. This glorious dance of creation, as horrific as it appears to be; the collisions of gravitational forces; the explosion of stars; the black-holes in the center of every one of the billions of galaxies (including our own); that once depressed me is now seen in concert with the compassion of Christ, the Buddha and the saints of all faiths. It is the rhythms… the pulse of the backbeat to the music… the Rock ‘n’ Roll… of the spheres that I can now dance to and with the music… the order of chaos.


geo, 4,697

No comments:

Post a Comment