Thursday, May 31, 2012

It Works for Me


First of all… no one in AA is demanding that anyone give up proven and tested experience. Darwin’s theory of evolution doesn’t threaten faith at all. In fact, the universe of physics, physical anthropology, even Hegel’s dialectics... they all dance around the question of faith but science admits that its tools of discovery are unable to confirm the existence of any god beyond asserting vaguely the ground of being. I know that I am getting a bit “out there” in this blog but I am writing for people who have pondered these things and wonder if there is anyone out there in the faith community that agree with us on this subject.
Personally, I wouldn’t have become a believer of any kind if I didn’t have an experience so profound that it lifted the obsession to drink from day one. It has been 4,720 days since I had that last drink but there have been several occasions in which I have wanted one… wanted one so badly I could taste it… but my faith was reaffirmed when the obsession passed as if it were merely a scudding cloud. That was not the case before I surrendered... when the obsession hung onto my mind with the grip of a moray eel. It was the Heart of Compassion that removed the obsession to drink and the Heart of Compassion forgives rather than condemns. But whatever others call God, or whether you call God anything at all, is none of my business. I’m not in the conversion business except that this is what works for me.



geo 4,720

No comments:

Post a Comment