Friday, May 18, 2012

The Doldrums


Mid-May is the time of the year in Santa Barbara that begins what I would call “the doldrums”… the weather is as predictable as the sun rising or setting and it will be that way until August or September when the temperature hits the 90s and then until November or December when we start getting rain. I would have called the lack of inner turmoil, (emotional storms, fits of anger, longing for love and bouts of grandiosity into depression), spiritual doldrums at one time too. No drama in my life translated into boredom. As much as I told myself that I didn’t want such drama my behavior defied my intentions. What was so troubling about boredom and why couldn’t I be satisfied with quietude? Why did I seem to always have something going on and couldn't take a few minutes out of my day to sit with no ambition at all beyond shutting-up the monkey chatter between my ears?
            Once I began meditating a new adventure presented itself. It is something to do that undoes doing… doing… doing. Have you ever had a friend that chattered about nothing all the time but once in a while, after all you are friends, sat quietly with you for a few minutes enjoying the sunset or the breeze wafting through the forest. Just standing on the beach or taking a walk with your inner-most dear friend… that is what it is like to meditate. Your inner-most mind is a dear friend that knows you and reads you like a book but it is a good thing to sit regularly and quietly with it. These are times to get to know and bond with your dear friend. This takes training but it is so worth it. The dramatic unfolding of consciousness in tune with the universal love of the Heart of Compassion is more fulfilling and exciting than my own petty dramas.


geo, 4,706

No comments:

Post a Comment