Tuesday, May 1, 2012

The Best of Bill: May 1st

 
Therefore our practical question is this: “Just what do we mean by ‘humility for today’ and how do we know when we have found it?”
            We scarcely need to be reminded that excessive guilt or rebellion leads to spiritual poverty. But it was a very long time before we knew we could go even more broke on spiritual pride. When we early AAs got our first glimmer of how spiritually prideful we could be, we coined this expression: “Don’t try to get too damned good by Thursday?” That old-time admonition may look like another of those alibis that can excuse us from trying our best. Yet a closer view reveals just the contrary. This is our AA way of warning against pride-blindness, and the imaginary perfections that we do not possess.
The Best of Bill  (pp. 38-39)

*****

I don’t know why the early AAs chose Thursday as the day one ought not try to be “too damned good for” but I suspect any day would be a good one. It could be by Sunday for most Christians, Saturday for a Jew, or Friday for a Muslim. 

Chogyam Trungpa calls "spiritual pride", instead, spiritual materialism. People who love us, and are not alcoholics or addicts, usually tell us we ought to be proud to be sober as long as we have been. This is a fine sentiment and I am grateful for the spirit in which it is expressed. However, it is not healthy for me to take excessive pride for the time I have been sober. The spiritual practice that keeps me sober is a thirst for spiritual progress tempered by humility that allows me to grow with or without acknowledgement, for good or bad, from others. I am so very grateful I have family and friends who are supportive of my sobriety but many others have no such thing. In the end it is my contact with the Heart of Compassion that keeps me sober and not the recognition or accolades of others.


geo, 4,789

No comments:

Post a Comment