Monday, April 30, 2012

Trimmed and Tweaked


Was it possible that I might have operated my life on a completely erroneous premise? Could all my ideals and perceptions about my self, as well as the society I live in, be wrong too? This was a stunning revelation imposed by false humility because I considered my perceptions to be based on serious study and reflections… could I have been completely wrong? Am I any different now? Is it conceivable to me that next year at this time I might have an opposite revelation… that I am wrong about nothing?
 Nothing is more noxious to most of us than false humility. I don’t believe that my whole life was wasted before I came to the point of desperation that some call spiritually awakened or enlightened. The idea that I might have been so would be a warped and sadly deluded projection of the image I present to others because I know that in my heart I don’t believe it; why then would I attempt to convince you of it if this isn’t false humility…an extension of false pride?
It could be that at this time next year I will see that I now believe some pretty silly ideas that ought be trimmed down or tweaked but not completely discarded. I hope so. I am sure that I don’t want to set in cement the concepts I hold dear today because this assumes that others who disagree with me are of inferior intellect, misinformed or lack a moral base. When I studied painting, my best instructor, during our weekly critique, pointed out and encouraged what was working and discouraged what was not by implication. Only our very worst attempts to make a silk purse out of a sow’s ear met with a negative critique. I try to live my life along these lines.



geo, 4,688

No comments:

Post a Comment