Tuesday, November 29, 2011

The Antidote for Fear


I am alerted when fear comes at me like a roaring dragon; but, fear that slips into my room in the middle of the night and binds me unnoticed in gentle restraints, is my nemesis. I am most interested in the quality of fear that is so damned subversive that I hardly notice its usurpation of power. It waits quietly until try to make a positive change, adventure into a new direction, before it clamps down.

However, fear has become my teacher. When I am thwarted by fear I can retreat into the heart of compassion where the well-spring of all courage can be tapped through the simple action of one human being helping another. This is the kind of faith that is the antidote to my fears.

I am no longer in the business of slaying dragons. There are no causes to champion or windmills to tilt. I can quietly work as a worker among workers and, in the words of the carpenter, "Be not afraid, only believe."


geo, 4,550

No comments:

Post a Comment