Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Spiritual Evolution:


Spiritual Evolution:

I am privileged to live in an era in which the world is going through a transition so extreme it can only be compared to the birthing process. It has taken several centuries to take us to this point and I am not saying that there haven’t been other eras nearly as tumultuous as the one we are in and that our Mother hasn’t granted us many births before; but, it appears that a new spirituality is being forced out of the womb of comfortable religiosity and fanatical exclusion-ism into an all-embracing spiritual awakening of inclusion. As in any birth, this awakening isn’t accomplished without considerable blood and noise.

I got a glimpse of the spiritual evolution I am speaking of when some Jehovah Witnesses came to my door telling me of a scenario in which the world is going to hell-in-a-hand-basket. My friend that was with me at the time was listening on the side. She interrupted this dour prophesy saying, “Excuse me, but we no longer go to watch Christians burn at the stake for entertainment in the Coliseum of Rome, do we?”

As bad as we are; with the the Genocide of the Cherokee, the American Civil War, WWI, WWII, the Holocaust, the Cambodian Killing Fields, the WTC catastrophe… we didn’t do those for the explicit enjoyment of the masses. Even Andy Jackson, Hitler, Stalin and Pol Pot had to hide the disgrace of extermination from the masses in general. Each era has had dramatic changes through the eons. Sometimes it is two steps forward and a step backwards but the evolution of humankind can be observed from the mountain top.

The best read I have found on the subject of spiritual evolution is a modest tome authored by Robert Wright, titled The Evolution of God – published in 2009 by Little, Brown and Company. I wish that every sole proprietor of the truth or politico/religious fanatic exclusion-ist could be forced to give it a read before going out to force their beliefs on us or wreak havoc on innocents. It might not make a difference but what the heck…

No comments:

Post a Comment