Saturday, November 12, 2011

If Wishes Were Fishes


Saturday, November 12, 2011:

AS BILL SEES IT

178

Down to Earth*

Those of us who have spent much time in the world of spiritual make-believe have eventually seen the childishness of it. This dream world has been replaced by a sense of purpose, accompanied by a growing consciousness of the power of God in our lives.

We have come to believe He would like us to keep our heads in the clouds with Him, but that our feet ought to be firmly planted on earth. That is where our work must be done. These are the realities for us. We have found a powerful spiritual experience and a life of sane and happy usefulness.
<< << <<   >> >> >>

One of my meditations today was in uncanny agreement with this thought:  Dig the pond, don't wait for the moonlight; when the pond is complete, the moonlight will naturally be there. Another one I heard from somewhere: If wishes were fishes they'd do all your dishes.

This is not to say that miracles don't happen. By miracles I mean seemingly serendipitous happenings more so than divine intervention on the laws of nature. There are so many times that I applied myself and, voila, something extraordinary popped up. But I had to make the first move… like asking for a date or applying for a job. I can't count with my toes and fingers how many times I have been lifted out of some miserable situation after I did something that took so very little effort to begin with. Are these miracles? I think so.

geo
4,534

PS: My thanks to Edward Munch for the grafx!


* ALCOHOLICS ANONYMOUS, p. 130

No comments:

Post a Comment