Friday, November 4, 2011

A Drop of Water


AS BILL SEES IT

171

Dividends and Mysteries[2]

“You are asking yourselves, as all of us must: ‘Who am I?’ … ‘Where am I?’ … ‘Whence do I go?’ The process of enlightenment is usually slow. But, in the end, our seeking always brings a finding. These great mysteries are, after all, enshrined in complete simplicity. The willingness to grow is the essence of all spiritual development.”

<< << <<   >> >> >>

As a child I heard the stories about the saints suddenly and rapturously transported by the Holy Spirit completely and permanently into a new state of consciousness. Later, when I read Zen stories, the same phenomena presented itself: I.e., a young student is asked to bring water to cool his master’s bath. He pours the water in the bath and tosses the left-over water on the ground. The master scolds him for tossing the water on the ground instead of watering the plants. The student is instantly enlightened.

I don’t even seek such a miraculous experience. Am I then never to be touched by the sublime? Awakened, I see the wonder of the light in the morning sun and the cooing of the doves. What more is there?

geo
4,526

[2] LETTER 1955

No comments:

Post a Comment