Monday, November 7, 2011

From Where I Sit:


From where I sit it is a simple matter to surmise that this whole business of spiritual growth is about clearing away the obstacles that cause human misery. The very act of this house-cleaning, and helping my fellows do the same, is a source of tremendous energy and joy. Otherwise I’d toss out the whole shebang and go about getting what I could for my own enjoyment. There is a sense, however, that no matter what I believe, the setting to right the wrongs of my past and the further development of a spiritual ground for living is the best way to enjoy this short spin on the planet.

The big question then is: How do I accomplish that of my own power? Tapping into the dynamo of faith seems the only reasonable way to do this without sinking into frustration and self-righteous contempt. Good intentions are not enough. In fact, I have found that they compound the misery. The oft quoted passage from James in the Fellowship of AA: “Faith without works is dead,” tempts us to imagine that works without faith is possible. The Native American prayer, “Father, save us from the good intentions of the White Man,” can be applied regarding this propensity of the righteous.

geo
4,529

No comments:

Post a Comment