Thursday, November 17, 2011

A Viewer-with-Alarm: As Bill Sees It


Thursday, November 17, 2011:
 AS BILL SEES IT

183

A Viewer-with-Alarm[1]

“I went through several fruitless years in a state called ‘viewing with alarm for the good of the movement.’ I thought it was up to me to be always ‘correcting conditions.’ Seldom had anybody been able to tell me what I ought to do, and nobody had ever succeeded in effectively telling me what I must do. I had to learn the hard way out of my own experience.
 
“When setting out to ‘check’ others, I found myself often motivated by fear of what they were doing, self-righteousness, and even downright intolerance. Consequently, I seldom succeeded in correcting anything. I just raised barriers of resentment that cut off any suggestion, example, understanding, or love.”

<< << <<   >> >> >>

[2]“A.A.’s often say, ‘Our leaders do not drive by mandate; they lead by example.’ If we would favorably affect others, we ourselves need to practice what we preach --- and forget the ‘preaching,’ too. The quiet good example speaks for itself.”
_____

[3]If Bill W., co-the founder of AA, can confess this experience and admit the futility of it, how much crazier is it for me to assume such authority. The Second Tradition --- For our group purpose there is but one authority --- a loving God as He may express Himself in our group conscience. Our leaders are but trusted servants; they do not govern. This Tradition reminds me, before I saddle-up on my high horse, to cool my jets and be grateful for the Fellowship. When I see a trend I wish to correct isn’t it so much better to trust God and express my grievance, allowing the group to decide its merit? Before I can do this, however, I have to come to believe that a power greater than all of us can and will straighten things out if we submit to the Spirit of Recovery.




[1] LETTER, 1945
[2] LETTER, 1966
[3] Geo, 4538

No comments:

Post a Comment