Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Air, Light, or Food

"When we refuse air, light, or food, the body suffers. And when we turn away from meditation and prayer, we likewise deprive our minds, our emotions, and our intuitions of vitally needed support. As the body can fail its purpose for lack of nourishment, so can the soul. We need the light of God's reality, the nourishment of His strength, and the atmosphere of His grace. To an amazing extent the facts of A.A. life confirm this ageless truth."
TWELVE STEPS
AND
TWELVE TRADITIONS:
STEP ELEVEN (p. 97)

~

 I once poo-poohed the liturgy of recited prayers early in my practice and preferred to simply sit without any prelude. I considered all the ringing of gongs, the lighting of incense, the lighting of candles and prescribed prayers, to be unnecessary adjuncts to my "getting down" to the basics. A sincere spot-prayer from the heart throughout the day, and sitting quietly now and then, ought to be good enough to get me through. However, I remembered the solace and peace of mind I found in my youth while sitting quietly in Catholic Mass. A Sunday morning at our local Vedanta Temple changed my mind about my puritanism in this regard. What I found to be important was the manner in which the liturgy was a formula that, one by one, filtered out the distractions and directed my mind… elevating it, if you will. I now consider prayer to be an appetizer that prepares me for the main course in the nourishment of my soul. A heart to heart meeting with the Spirit of Compassion is the desert!

    Are the gongs, recited mantras/prayers, lighting of incense/candles, absolutely necessary for meditation? I think not. On the road, Denny's is good enough.... or a sandwich from a convenience store even. However, if I eat only for nourishment at all times, I miss out on the experience of a well prepared dining experience. I don't sup this way whenever I sit at the table but why would I want to go long without doing so? I have been granted a second chance at a life beyond my dreams, why then wouldn't I wish to enjoy it fully?


geo 4,819

No comments:

Post a Comment