Monday, July 23, 2012

Making Sense of It


From the blossoming lotus of devotion, at the center of
            my heart,
Rise up, O compassionate master, my only refuge!
A am plagued by my past actions and turbulent emotions:
To protect me in misfortune
Remain as the as the jewel-ornament on the crown of my
            head, the mandala of great bliss,
Arousing all my mindfulness and awareness, I pray!
 JULY 23rd
GLIMPSE AFTER GLIMPSE
Jigme Lingpa

~

When I hear, touch, smell and see… my head gets it all first and filters…. sorts and categorizes, and usually, after all this is made sense of… it ends there. I have old tapes: religio-philosophical beliefs, my political positions, my formal education, and I have convictions formed from experience (even some say, even my potty training). And then, on top of all of this, I get information… a flood of data from newspapers, television, radio and shit from the internet… ah, my-oh-my… how am I to get past all that? How am I to reach the Heart of Compassion through this log-jam?
            When the heart and mind are spoken of we are not just talking about the computer between our ears and behind our eyes. We are not just speaking of the blood-pump in our chests. The heart is the center of being where passions and intuitions are felt. The mind is all of it together. We instinctively know this but, because it just makes so much sense, we assume that there is nothing more to the mind than the nerve center and we dismiss gut feelings as unreliable. We are told to use our heads instead of our passions. These are unreliable without training. The untrained mind is a rogue elephant driven by pain, anger, desire and fear that heeds nothing from the heart. But, once the Heart of Compassion is ceded to, a whole new world opens to us. In this sense we find that spirituality is not opposed to the intellect; but, rather, embraces it holistically through mindfulness and awareness.


geo 4,832

No comments:

Post a Comment