Sunday, July 8, 2012

The Gooey Football of Blame


As far as international politics are concerned, somebody is always trying to put the blame on somebody else, to pass that huge, overbuilt, gooey, dirty, smelly, gigantic football with all sorts of worms coming out of it. People say, "It's not mine, it's yours." The communists say it belongs to the capitalists and the capitalists say it belongs to the communists (or now, the Islamic extremists vs. the degenerate capitalist West). Throwing it back and forth doesn't help anyone at all. So even from the point of view of political theory --- if there is such a thing in Mahayana or in Buddhism --- it is important for individuals to absorb unjustified blame and to work with that, It is very important and necessary.

Chogyam Trungpa: Training the Mind
and cultivating
 Loving-Kindness (pp.83-84)

~


Without a doubt, I am probably going to fail to meet someone's expectations today. It might be something trivial or monstrous… either way, it is easier for me to accept and admit my oversights than to cover up, or dodge them with excuses and counter accusations... it doesn't work. It might make a slight gain or loss in the polls for politicians but not for me. After all, I am not trying to win popular opinion but, rather, I am trying to maintain the peace of mind I start my day with. Besides, it is entirely possible that I might be wrong… I could have just as well have stepped on someone's toes or forgotten the tolerance and open-mindedness that grants me peace. I could have thus rankled someone else's spirit without even knowing it, therefore, I am better off being grateful for the input.
            Admit and confess… to myself and the Heart of Compassion that guides me: suddenly, I have no enemies… free from debate… even with the arguments that rattle around in my brain… retreat into the wonder of observation… enjoy the three-ring-circus that is there for my entertainment… give my mind a break and have some fun with it.


geo 4,816

No comments:

Post a Comment