Monday, July 9, 2012

Inventory


When evening comes, perhaps just before going to sleep, many of us draw up a balance sheet for the day. This is a good place to remember that inventory taking is not always done in red-ink. It is a poor day indeed when we haven't done something right.
…Having so considered our day, not omitting to take due of things well done, and having searched our hearts with neither fear nor favor, we can truly thank God for the blessings we have received and sleep in good conscience.
TWELVE STEPS
 AND
 TWELVE TRADITIONS:
STEP TEN
(pp. 93…95)

~

It didn't take much, once understanding arose in my consciousness, that humility takes a large dose of authentic pride. Seeming to be an opposing value, pride in what a carpenter applies his hands is essential if anything of merit is to come of the day's work. A good eye is necessary to know what is right and an objective ability to see things as they are… to adjust or to square them. It takes training: no one would expect a carpenter to go to a job and perform as a journeyman the first day on the lot with an unused hammer in an unworn tool belt. Why then do I have such high expectations of myself as I begin to open up to spiritual principles? False pride would have me covering up or denying mistakes but humility would simply admit and correct errors without shame. Humility would tell me; "Move on… measure twice… cut once, to take the advice of those who have come before, work in harmony with others and try at all times to be helpful." Pride allows me to lay down my head at night knowing I have done well.


geo 4,817

No comments:

Post a Comment