Thursday, July 12, 2012

An Unshakable Foundation for Life




"There is a direct linkage among self-examination, meditation, and prayer. Taken separately, these are logically related and interwoven, the result is an unshakable foundation for life. Now and then we may be granted a glimpse of that ultimately reality which is God's kingdom. And we will be comforted and assured that our own destiny in the realm will be secure for so long as we try, however faltering, to find and do the will of our own Creator."
TWELVE STEPS
AND
TWELVE TRADITIONS:
STEP TWELVE (p.98) 

~

It isn't enough for me to consider the day ahead, or the previous day, if I do nothing about whatever I have discovered. The idea of sitting quietly, long enough to let go of whatever I'm thinking… can be a disturbing enough proposition, but to do so regularly and for any length of time can seem near impossible. However, to even attempt to do so reaps subtle benefits I don't even notice them until I review my day. Gradually my impulsive, knee-jerk, reactions are replaced by emotional balance. I become more confident, not out of bluff and bluster, but out of a quiet assurance I am in the flow… dancing to the syncopated rhythms of the universe. Pausing when agitated or doubtful and picking up where I left off.
            The truth is that I couldn't do this very well on my own, but I found that I was able to when I sat with similar minded folks. It doesn't matter whether it is a yoga class or a religious group… it could be a Zen center or church group. Santa Barbara has four such AA meetings that sit for twenty-five minutes. We also have one that sits for five minutes for those who find twenty-five minutes to be too much. If there isn't a local meditation group in the area, it is easy enough to start one in AA. All it takes is two or three people whose only purpose is to stay sober and, Voila!


geo 4,820

No comments:

Post a Comment