Sunday, July 22, 2012

The Place of Peace



Perhaps one of the greatest rewards of meditation and prayer is the sense of belonging that comes to us. We are no longer lost and frightened and purposeless. The moment we catch even a glimpse of God's will, the moment we begin to see truth, justice, and love as the real and eternal things in life, we are no longer deeply disturbed by all the seeming evidence to the contrary that surrounds us in purely human affairs. We know that God lovingly watches over us. We know that when we turn to Him (or Her or Herm or the Tao, I might add…sic. geo), all will be well with us, here and hereafter.
~
The place I meditate is almost as important as the meditation itself. It can be an empty room; a corner of the bedroom;… even a closet. But, as Sogyal Rinpoche suggests in today's meditation, "You can transform the most ordinary of rooms into an intimate sacred space, an environment where every day you go to meet with your true self with all the joy and happy ceremony of one old friend greeting another."
            Most of the people I know have a problem with meditation because of the expectation that it is a labor. How can I stop what I'm doing… can't I meditate and pray while I am busy with my job or other things? Of course I can. I can meditate while standing in line at the market. I can listen to CDs as I am stuck in traffic. I can meditate while attending a performance of a symphony orchestra or ballet. However, there is no comparison in these things to sitting without the clutter of distractions for a few precious minutes a day. It doesn't have to be a big deal at all. It can be as simple as sitting down and doing absolutely nothing because, after all, it is in nothing that the Heart of Compassion has room to arise.


geo, 4,831

No comments:

Post a Comment