Monday, July 2, 2012

Over the Edge


Once I had taken on responsibility for my past, the time came to be responsible for the present. I believe that the spirituality… i.e., morality… that ignores the value of living to useful purpose is only good for preaching to the choir. To those of use who have sailed over the edge of a flat-earth can't be reformed or admonished towards righteousness out of fear of an abstract hell. We have been to a very real hell and, for some of us, we weren't tourists there: we were content to live there. I found excitement and the thrill of living on the edge until I sailed over it … careening through relationships: sinking careers, shirking family and abusing friendships. It was difficult to accept that that the spiritual life would be one of adventure. I had shunned it until I found that evolution would be more of a revolution than anything I had done before. Living life to practical purpose is a utilitarian approach to a philosophy that is quite the opposite of any other moral basis to do so. The first nine Steps of AA were necessary for me because I had been conducting my life rather chaotically previous to setting aside drugs and alcohol. From that point on in the Tenth, Eleventh and Twelfth Step, I have utilized the adventure towards the Heart of Compassion because, frankly, the oblivion of the adventures of my past bore me.



[1] geo 4,810

No comments:

Post a Comment