Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Having Had a Spiritual Awakening


"Having had a spiritual awakening as the result of these steps, we tried to carry this message to alcoholics, and to practice these principles in all our affairs."
TWELVE STEPS
 AND
TWELVE TRADITIONS
STEP TWELVE (p. 106)

The joy of living is the theme of A.A.'s Twelfth Step, and action is its key word. Here we turn outward toward our fellow alcoholics who are still in distress. Here we experience the kind of giving that asks for no rewards. Here we begin to practice all Twelve Steps of the program in our daily lives so that we and those about us may find emotional sobriety. When the Twelfth Step is seen in its full implication, it is really talking about the kind of love that has no price tag on it.

~

In truth, I experienced a spiritual awakening upon putting aside the bottle and the bindle. That was how I awoke to the first three steps. I had no idea at the time what I was in for but a door was opened through which my whole outlook on life changed. Those feelings of failure and despair dissolved like sugar in warm water as I proceeded to mend relationships… relationships with myself; with my Higher Power; and with my fellow human beings. Now, as my instincts improve and the light of joy illuminates and restores my spirit, I can't hide it. Taking what I found to others I found that I had to improve my communication skills. I had to become tolerant and nonjudgmental if I were to be able to pass it on. These areas were new territory for me so I have had to focus on listening instead of preaching, of reaching out with my experience rather than forcing my opinions on unwilling victims and, most of all, to stay in conscious contact with the Heart of Compassion…and never… never ever forgetting that I am only an arm's length from that Jack Daniels I left on the bar so many one-day-at-a-time ago.


geo 4,833

No comments:

Post a Comment