Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Blessed are the Peacemakers

The attitude of peacemaker has become a hallmark of my own spiritual practice because it has opens my mind to the importance of healing rather than dividing where there is controversy. Furthermore, I have found that it is better to mind my own business in situations where healing isn’t possible. These are divisive times as it seems to be a cycle in public discourse… brief periods of accord and prosperity and then the squabbling over the scraps left over when it falls apart once more. Today, reformation seems to have infiltrated every part of our private and public lives. There are those who would stick their noses into our personal lives and dictate what we eat, whether we smoke tobacco in public or pot in private, what choice we have in marriage partners, what kinds of weapons we are allowed, or not allowed, to defend our homes and families, even whether or not we drink 18 ounce sodas! I can’t skirt these issues without compromising my own integrity but, can I still be helpful? Where can I be responsible for my opinions? Can I live my principles rather than preach them and step aside where my opinion will not be helpful? Where can I stand for the oppressed and downtrodden and where must I silently support those who have no voice? Can I respect, without demonizing and dehumanizing, the opinions of others as much as I would have them respect mine and still take a stance? These questions are paramount as I blog or post and a high standard to adhere to, that I slip from on occasion, but, if I am to value my own sanity, I must make the commitment to bringing harmony where there is discord.
geo 5,301

No comments:

Post a Comment