Thursday, March 7, 2013

Receptive Hearts

I will abide in receptive hearts --- an unknown friend, ever rousing them to sacred feelings, silently urging them through their own noble thoughts to forsake their slumber of earthliness. In the light of wisdom I will dance with all the joys in the unseen bower of silence.
Metaphysical Meditations;
Friendship and Service, p. 78
Paramahansa Yogananda
۞

It is hard to see, in the divisiveness and political wrangling of the national dialogue, where the Spirit of Compassion can put a foot in the door of the world’s consciousness. There is so much vitriol hurled from one side against the other; compelled by the notion that it is better to defeat the opposition on a particular issue than it is to resolve our differences. Perfect peace that doesn’t arise from my heart is not attainable if I expect it in others before I am at peace with myself. Of course, such a stance is considered by the angry and disillusioned to be taking a passive one, and doing nothing isn't productive at all. We are trained from youth to fight fire with fire, and thus, to pour gasoline on it. The idea that sitting in meditation is not a positive action comes from thinking that it amounts to laying down and being rolled over. Tell that to Christ; tell that to Gandhi; tell that to Martin Luther King or Mother Teresa. All of these took the initiative to stand up, after prayer and meditation, to go out and make a difference by positive action. They did so while addressing the ills of the world and at the same time resolving their own personal karma. Can I do that in any small way today when I rise from my cushion? Will I be drawn to receptive hearts by promoting loving-kindness and mindfulness?
geo 5,282

No comments:

Post a Comment