Thursday, March 21, 2013

Let's Go Shopping!

The most important thing is not to get trapped in what I see everywhere in the West, a “shopping mentality”: shopping around from master to master, teaching to teaching, without any continuity or real, sustained dedication to any one discipline. Nearly all the great spiritual masters of  all traditions agree that the essential thing is to master one way, one path to the truth, by following one tradition with all your heart and mind to the end of the spiritual journey, while, of course, remaining open and respectful toward the insights of all others. In Tibet we used to say: “Knowing one, you accomplish all.” The modern faddish idea that we can always keep all our options open and so never need commit ourselves to anything is one of the greatest and most dangerous delusions of our culture, and one of ego’s most effective ways of sabotaging our spiritual search.
Glimpse After Glimpse,
Sogyal Rinpoche
@
Single-mindedly, I focus my meditation on “loving kindness” and walk away from my session with an elevated perspective that dwindles as the day wears me down. However, as I practice, my mind adapts reflexively to it and gradually it becomes the first reflex rather than the second or third when confronted with a problem or an annoying situation.

    My greatest challenge was when I dealt with bureaucracy. The slightest delay or insane question on a form would set me off on a rage. But, as I practice with singleness of purpose, I have found love and tolerance gradually becomes first. Had I been shopping around; seeking spiritual power towards wealth, healing… even these along side of the mindfulness of loving kindness… instead of the single-purpose of one path, I would most likely have reacted to old tapes. 


    The other day I was being examined by a doctor evaluating my VA claim for a service related back injury. One of the questions on the doctor’s form asked: “After diagnoses, would you recommend amputation?” No kidding! It is peculiar that at one time I might have most probably gone away seething… seeing little humor in the question… but instead I asked Bon-Bon, “Do you have any need the lower half of my body?” and the three of us laughed. It felt good to laugh.

geo 5,296

No comments:

Post a Comment