Monday, March 4, 2013

TRUST

"ENTIRELY HONEST"
 
We must be entirely honest with somebody if we expect to live long and happily in this world.
Alcoholics Anonymous, pp. 73-74

Honesty, like all virtues, is to be shared. It began after I shared “… [my] whole life’s story with someone…” in order to find my place in the Fellowship. Later I shared my life in order to help the newcomer find his place with us. This sharing helps me learn honesty in all my dealings and to know that God’s plan for me comes true through honest openness and willingness.
Daily Reflections: May 4,
A.A. World Services
Publication
۞۞۞۞۞

I’m sure I’m not the only one that has felt that I have a story that I need to tell but dismissed the notion for fear that an honest confession oughtn’t to be spoken of openly. It was a daunting proposition to be faced with the fear that someone else might know who it was that I am lurking behind the mask. There was that and then there was the haunting suspicion that such and honest revelation would be betrayed and used against me. These were followed by the fear that, once known, I would have to make amends for the harm I had done to others along the way as I careened through life as a drunk. 

    I might not have ever done so had I not found someone I could trust. It was made easier when the man I trusted confessed that he had also done some of the same things to others. It helped that he was an addict and alcoholic too. I could have gone to a priest or a shrink but I needed to let go of my past completely and such authority figures simply could not be of as much use as another alcoholic. I now understand that I wasn’t able to do any of it if I didn’t come to find trust in God. The Heart of Compassion had already been revealed when the obsession to drink was lifted. If God could do that then God could be trusted for anything.

geo 5,279

No comments:

Post a Comment