Friday, March 22, 2013

The "Sweet Spot"

A BLANKET OF SUNLIGHT

The practice of mindfulness defuses our negativity, aggression, and turbulent emotions, which may have been gathering power over many lifetimes. Rather than suppressing emotions or indulging in them, here it is important to view them --- your thoughts and whatever arises --- with an acceptance and generosity that are as open and spacious as possible. Tibetan masters say that this wise generosity has the flavor of boundless space, so warm and cozy that you feel enveloped and protected by it, as if by a blanket of sunlight.
Glimpse After Glimpse
Sogyal Rinpoche
&
I call it “hitting the sweet spot”: like that place on the ball... the golfer whacks it into the air as though it has wings of its own and lands on the green, rolls gently, dropping into the hole with a soft plop. These moments have behind them an element of luck as well as practice. The sweet spot is known and, once there, I am at once addicted to that feeling, that sense of peace and assured safety. Like the metaphor of the golfer; it takes some time on the driving range to be able to get the ball there in the first place. However, there are times when an amateur walks up to the tee for the first time and hits the ball all the way to the green for a hole-in-one. This is the spot I hit the day I fell to my knees, humbled myself… hit the sweet spot of the Heart of Compassion and was enveloped in a “blanket of sunlight”. From there on I knew that the grace of God is always available to me if I practice my swing... aimed with humility and willingness to step out into the world following the lead of God’s will. While the ball doesn’t always drop in the hole for a hole-in-one every time I tee up... or even get to the green, from there on; whether I hit a sand-trap or it takes a dozen strokes, I move with confidence and a sense of humor… the Heart of Compassion is with me.
geo 5,297

No comments:

Post a Comment