Wednesday, March 27, 2013

The Clown Shoes of Prayer

My Offering to Thee

Each morning I offer my body, my mind, and the ability that I possess, to be used by Thee, O Infinite Creator, in whatever way Thou dost choose to express Thyself through me. I know that all work is Thy work, and that no task is too difficult or too menial when offered to Thee in loving service.
Metaphysical Meditations, p. 7
Paramahansa Yogananda
&
There are times I feel as though I am distant from my Creator and have no desire at all to bridge that gap. I don’t have to have any beef against God; I just don’t care to think about these high minded ideals. I don’t want to do any kind of work at all and certainly not take on a sanctified persona to move on. But, because I have made a habit out of prayer and meditation, my mind gradually changes. A man I deeply respect can often be heard to say, “Get the day before the day gets you.” Getting the day means to me to offer it to God before I have a chance to proceed in bad humor. Prayer is important because the act of prayer elevates my mind and meditation follows that with levity. Levity is important because, without a sense of humor, life is a glum struggle. Usually, before I stand and have my first cup of coffee, my mood changes. Gratitude puts a lilt in my voice and I become glad to be alive. I don’t have to put on clown shoes to feel better but it helps… eh?
geo 5,302

No comments:

Post a Comment