Tuesday, March 5, 2013

The Perfume of all Hearts

O Thou Perfume of all hearts and all roses, I mind not how many days of scalding sorrow cross the threshold of my life to search and test me. Through Thy blessing may they remind me of my errors that have kept me away from Thee.
Metaphysical Meditations, p. 58
Paramahansa Yogananda
۞

It was easier to balk at the notion that my troubles were of my own making than to admit my faults or apologize sincerely for them. I reflexively thought of how others had caused me sorrow but rarely thought of how my actions provoked them. Consequently, I found myself becoming bitter about my life in general and skeptical about the motives of others. The more I evaded the truth and made excuses for myself, the more I was thwarted in my efforts to find peace of mind. In this state I saw all talk about communion with God to be myopic and even “make believe”. If I hadn’t come to a point where an ocean of despair enveloped my soul I might have never considered another way of living. Once at that place of surrender I suddenly, and without intellectualizing, came into the light of the Heart of Compassion. The cynic and debating society between my ears was silenced for a few seconds. In other words, I woke up and smelled the coffee… or roses, eh?
geo 5,280

No comments:

Post a Comment