Saturday, May 11, 2013

A Complete Break

To meditate is to make a complete break from how we “normally” operate, for it is a state free of all cares and concerns, in which there is no competition, no desire to possess or grasp anything, no intense and anxious struggle, and no hunger to achieve: an ambitionless state where there is neither acceptance nor rejection, neither hope nor fear, a state in which we slowly begin to release all these emotions and concepts that have imprisoned us into the space of natural simplicity.
Glimpse After Glimpse
Sogyal Rinpoche
&
Logic tells me that this state is a noble ambition and thus; as Alan Watts would put it, it is a double-bind.  I will meditate until I’m not meditating at all. These conflicting ideals are the center of meditative practices… the yin and the yang… the paradox of ambitionless ambition. Nonetheless, I sit. I sit until I’m not waiting any longer. I listen until I’m not hearing anything by hearing everything. I sit no matter what my brain comes up with and the arguments stop. Sometimes a flash of openness makes room to be enveloped from within by the Heart of Compassion… and I breathe. I breathe from the center of my being that I call my heart and that heart beats a rhythm that my soul dances to. It is the dance of creation that stays with me throughout the day ahead: Om ah hum… vajra guru padma siddhi hum!!! I try not to think about it… try 27, or 54, or 108 repetitions, if you will (that’s what beads are for)… the essence of past, present and future opens.
geo 5,347


No comments:

Post a Comment