Tuesday, May 14, 2013

My Will

Through meditation I will stop the storm of breath, mental restlessness, and sensory disturbances raging over the lake of my mind. Through prayer and meditation I will harness my will and activity to the right goal.
Metaphysical Meditations, p. 59
Paramahansa Yogananda

&

Don’t misunderstand my intention; I am not discounting Paramahansa Yogananda’s meditation by extracting the word, will, out of this meditation . I am simply proclaiming “I stop” and “I harness”. It is preferable to extract will out of the equation because when I say, “I will stop” and “I will harness”, I am admitting I haven’t tried it yet, promising… but I will… I will. Instead, without a will of my own stuck in there it affirms the effectiveness of meditation as a universal tool. I.e., anyone can use it: meditation stops. Through prayer and meditation I've come to understand that my will is a useless tool in harnessing itself against itself. Instead, I find it more valuable to surrender my will to that of a Power greater than my own if I am stop the storm of breath, mental restlessness and sensory disturbances to come anywhere near the “right goal.” Once my will has be utilized to meditate at all... I surrender it.
geo 5,349

No comments:

Post a Comment