Thursday, May 9, 2013

Air, Light, or Food

Those of us who have come to make regular use of prayer would no more do without it than we would refuse air, light, food or sunshine. And for the same reason; when we refuse air, light or food, the body suffers. And when we turn away from meditation and prayer, we likewise deprive our minds, our emotions, and our intuitions of vitally needed support.
Twelve Steps and 
Twelve Traditions, p. 97
&
I first prayed out of desperation. I had no faith or hope that there was anyone or anything on the other end of it. Still, I prayed because there was nothing else to do and no one else to call on… at least, no one that could have helped. So I prayed… not even knowing what to ask for or whether or not I was asking for anything at all. Humiliation put me in a place where I could hear that still small voice from within and humility grew from that humiliation. This simple act of humility became the foundation of my sobriety and began a relationship with the Heart of Compassion that endures beyond the Fellowship of AA or any other human organization. From there, as I acted on that voice, a relationship grew… and as this relationship grew I became determined that I wasn’t going to fog it up with the dogma of beliefs of which I had no personal experience. Humility mutes the old tapes running in the background telling me I am less than, or more than, anyone else. Although I receive tremendous support from the Fellowship and even more confidence as I work the Steps, it is in the quiet… the stillness of heart… the dropping of facades that my spirit is revived… it alone is the air, light and food that nourishes me: one day at a time.
geo 5,345

No comments:

Post a Comment