Thursday, May 30, 2013

Burning Out Confusion

According to the Buddhist tradition, the spiritual path is the process of cutting through our confusion, of uncovering the awakened state of mind. When the awakened state of mind is crowded in by ego and its attendant paranoia, it takes on the character of an underlying instinct. So it is not a matter of building up the awakening state of mind, but rather of burning out these confusions which obstruct it. If the process were otherwise, the awakened state of mind would be a product, dependent upon cause and therefore liable to dissolution.
Chogyam Trungpapa:
Cutting Through Spiritual Materialism
&
At one time I believed we ought to be masters of our own destiny. I worked hard to be independent and grew accomplished wherever I put my attention. I was naturally proud of what I’d done with what I had been given.  I bluffed my way into the big game with a hand holding a pair of deuces as though they were four aces. I look back on it now with a great measure of gratitude that my bluff was called… gratitude that I never climbed so high that I lost perspective on who I was so much that, when all my efforts failed, I hadn't far to go to hit bottom. On the journey down, however, most of my ego-centered delusions were stripped so that, in a moment of clarity, I looked within to find the Heart of Compassion shining through. From there I hungered for more… the addiction of the heart. Since then my soul’s desire is to swim in the ocean of grace that I once merely sailed over. The process of uncovering, discovering, recovering and seeing clearing the Spirit that saves me, isn't as difficult as I make it. It is amazing how sitting a few minutes each morning and breathing, opens up channels of grace unknown. That is how I start my day and my day goes well as a co-creator, with compassion I am propelled (rather than compelled) by, if I stay within the realm of the spirit of grace.

geo 5,365

No comments:

Post a Comment