Thursday, May 16, 2013

Happiness

Whatever joy there is in this world
All comes from desiring others to be happy,
And whatever suffering there is in this world
All comes from desiring myself to be happy.
Shantideva

&

I thought that all this spiritual jive was about my bliss and happiness. I remember one of the first universal tenets proposed in philosophy 101 was: all people wish to be happy. This seemed true, even under close scrutiny, because all the examples of horrible atrocities seemed to be the result of misguided ideals about what brought happiness. Closer scrutiny revealed that some seek more to avoid suffering than they seek happiness; i.e., a Marine that throws himself on a grenade to protect his brothers does so out of a desire to preserve their life and limb, and should he fail to do so, he couldn’t live with the failure. My philosophy professor, Dr. Timothy Fetler, would then point out that in avoiding suffering our Marine’s happiness is at stake. Like a dog chasing its tail, this rule does seem to be universal but that to pursue happiness for myself, disregarding the happiness of others, is the best way to stay miserable.

geo 5,350

No comments:

Post a Comment