Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Good Gut Instincts

“We lose the fear of making decisions, great and small, as we realize that should our choice prove wrong we can, if we will, learn from our experience. Should our decision be the right one, we can thank God for giving us the courage and the grace that caused us so to act.”
As Bill Sees It, p. 253

&

Clarity of mind… the ability to see things as they are under duress… and training… muscle reflex: these are essential for good decision making. Do I think I know karate by watching a Bruce Lee movie? It takes training to come close to becoming adept at martial arts and good gut instincts to take that training to the next level. This business about becoming spiritually fit oughtn’t to overlook training and training is useless if it can’t be applied to everyday life. Fear that results in paralyses of analyses, or fear that compels bluff and blunder can be equally disastrous. In looking back on my past these two responses define most of my big mistakes. They caused postponement, denial or giant leaps to conclusions that had no ground in fact. I have stayed in relationships, jobs, old apartments and so on because I’ve been afraid of change. I have broken engagements, left jobs, and, like a bull in a china shop, became embroiled in conflict out of inappropriate reflexes… leaping before looking… because of fear that I would not have my way or that I would lose something I held dearly. Every one of my good decisions, jobs, relationships have come about out of a clarity that recognized good gut instincts. Because of these positive results I have been drawn to spiritual discipline and have committed myself to training.
geo 5,363

No comments:

Post a Comment