Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Diamond Crystal of Resentment

KNOW GOD; KNOW PEACE

It is plain that a life which includes deep resentment leads only to futility and unhappiness… But with the alcoholic, whose hope is the maintenance and growth of a spiritual experience, this business of resentment is infinitely grave.

ALCOHOLICS ANONYMOUS, p. 66




Know God;
Know peace.
No God;
No peace.

Daily Reflections, p. 144

&
For so many years I lived as though my life depended on resentment… a deep resentment held deep in my heart that I wouldn’t let go of. I had been hurt badly; and, not only would I not; but, I could not, let go of it. It became like a rock… crystalline pure… a beautiful diamond… the key to my existence. I was obsessed with the thought that; until I avenged, or somehow resolved the suffering, (the excruciating pain of it) I could not be free. I am ever so grateful that the grace of the Heart of Compassion touched me at the bottom of this despair and brought my soul to the humility, the willingness and honesty to let go of it; just enough to let go of it. As my heart opened to receive the grace of God, the diamond rolled out and sat before me… I saw it for what it was and I forgave. It was an experience that took a long time and it was resolved… nothing all that dramatic… but after I’d seen and admitted my part in it, the diamond softened as I allowed myself to reveal in detail the nature of this resentment to another human being. Gradually, it dissolved in the light of compassion. I couldn’t deny that I still held the resentment but it was now before me in the light of day instead of within a darkened corner of my heart. It is gone now and I don't miss it: even though at times I get a glimpse of it when I forget where it took me; I then flee to the protection and care of the Heart of Compassion.
geo 5,349

No comments:

Post a Comment