Monday, May 13, 2013

A Faith that Grows


“The right method of philosophy would be this. To say nothing except what can be said, i.e. the propositions of natural science… My propositions are elucidatory in this way: he who understands me finally recognizes them as senseless, when he has climbed out through them, on them, over them (he must so speak throw away the ladder, after he has climbed up on it.) He must surmount these propositions; then he sees the world rightly. Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one must be silent.”
Wittgenstein,
Tractatus Logico-Philosophicus
From: The Book
By Alan Watts

&

Here I am going against this advice, but then again, I see the world rightly only in glimpses. I do have my own experience and it is more important that I stay with it and avoid any speculation about things of which I have no experience. If I am truthful, I cannot promise good things to anyone else if they persistently practice meditation and adhere to certain moral principles. My experience is that even prayer is a fifty-fifty proposition. I can’t say that there is anything but compassion for others personified by our beliefs. The Heart of Compassion is a humanization of that which is impossible to have any sure knowledge of by using the intellect. I have found that it is not merely a reflex to fall back on to salve doubt. God, in this light, is not so much a concept as compassion is a living experience. To me, Compassion is not something that comes out of a philosophy but perceived through the heart as a greater Self connected to all of us. Whether or not the universe is bound together, molecule to galaxy, by Compassion is another story. However, I have had direct experience with a mountain-top experience where I saw love in action and I can, I must, speak of that in a world pining for faith. In a troubled world this grows my faith in the big picture and grants me faith in you.
geo 5,349

No comments:

Post a Comment