Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Dogmatism & Make-believe Spirituality

Those of us who have spent much time in the world of spiritual make believe have eventually seen the childishness of it. This dream world has been replaced by a great sense of purpose, accompanied by a growing consciousness of the power of God in our lives…
…We have found nothing incompatible between a powerful spiritual experience and a life of sane and happy usefulness.
Alcoholics Anonymous, p. 130

&
If I hadn’t seen the practical application of spirituality practiced by the old-timers in the Fellowship I might not have stayed. The young tend to fly off on tangents and embrace all kinds of fanatical notions, but they either change, grow or go elsewhere. It is sad to see the enthusiasm of newcomers warped into dogmatism or fantastic religionism (I just made up that word).  I know this to be true from my own experience because I might have remained sober forty years ago had not a profound awakening been so usurped by religious adherence to a childish make-believe world. These things could have been gotten by with if I weren't an addict or an alcoholic, but this disease demanded a humility that would resist diverting my attention to an unproductive spiritual dream-world. A practical and easily understood inner-revelation that would treat my addictions was all I needed and all I needed was what I got from paring away unnecessary beliefs and behaviors.
geo 5,364


No comments:

Post a Comment