Thursday, June 20, 2013

Deception of Beliefs

LEARN MORE
THAN THOU TROWEST


Have more than thou showest,
Speak less than thou knowest,
Lend less than thou owest,
Ride more than thou goest,
Learn more than thou trowest,
Set less than thou throwest,
Leave drink and thy whore,
And keep in-a-door,
And thou shalt have more
Than two tens to a score.
The Fool
From the Tragedy of King Lear
By William Shakespeare

&

Oh, to be as wise as a fool… I had to look up the word, trow, in my Random House: trow (trÓ§), v.i. archaic, to believe, think, or suppose… a belief suggested in my Webster as mental acceptance without directly implying certitude on the part of the believer. King Lear remains one of my favorite of Shakespeare’s tragedies… more so than Hamlet because King Lear was deluded by his own perceptions by favoring flattery over the true devotion of his daughter, Cordelia. Her mistake was being faithful to the truth while her sisters’ ambitions resorted to deception. He easily bought it as have I when my desires are opposed by my values. It seems so simple to see the error of judgment made by King Lear but, for myself, to be deluded is another tale of woe. As King Lear went insane, and in that insanity was redeemed in mind at great cost and loss, can I find respite in the midst of the chaos my own suppositions? Can I learn more from the disasters caused by my beliefs? It takes time but I have time for that… what else is there to do?

geo 5,382

No comments:

Post a Comment