Wednesday, June 5, 2013

I Let It Go at That

If he thinks he can do the job in some other way, or prefers some other spiritual approach, encourage him to follow his own conscience. We have no monopoly on God; we merely have an approach that worked with us. But point out that we alcoholics have something in common and that you would like, in any case, to be friendly. Let it go at that.
Alcoholics Anonymous, p. 95
&

The open-minded attitude about spiritual practices and recovery expressed in the literature of AA has been one of the Fellowship's most attractive aspects for me. No one tried to convert me or cram God down my throat. Once I became convinced that the program of AA was the most practical and affordable approach, I became more tolerant of opinions expressed by others… either of God or of recovery. I was pleasantly surprised that very few old-timers in the Fellowship expressed disdain for alcohol or others who used alcohol. They even spoke affectionately at times about the effects of alcohol in their past and seemed to have no compulsion at all to force anyone else to join us in abstaining from it. One old-timer spoke so affectionately about her favorite drink that she hoped Saint Peter would present her with a dry martini when she approaches the Pearly Gates. We are only concerned about the alcoholic that still suffers and is seeking a solution to his/her drinking problem. There is no superior philosophy or authority in the groups. At first I wondered if there might be a back-room I would be taken into after a few years to be let in on a secret agenda… of a hierarchy and leadership pulling the strings behind the scenes… or a Christian conspiracy of some sort. However, I have found that my experience is never questioned. I leave my opinions at the door and it is my experience alone that perks up the ears and causes a chuckle when I share it with my fellows... and I let it go at that.

geo 5,371

No comments:

Post a Comment