Sunday, June 23, 2013

Let God Play

But does that trust require that we be blind to other people’s motives or, indeed, to our own? Not at all; this would be folly. Most certainly, we should assess the capacity for harm as well as the capability for good in every person that we would trust. Such a private inventory can reveal the degree of confidence we should extend in any given situation.
As Bill Sees It, p.144
Daily Reflections
 
&

Whenever we’d see someone acting up a friend used to make me laugh by coyly commenting, “There goes God again.” At another time she would have said, “Let God play on a rainy day.” It is one of those Namaste principles in action causing me to see the god in other people. This can be a particularly disturbing notion if our ideal of God within us is as perfect as mathematical certainty. I've heard it said that, when a Navajo rug is woven, a stitch is dropped in humility so as to not mock the perfection of the Creator. The rug loses no value because of this flaw. Truthfully, it has value because of the flaw. If I drop a stitch now and then the fabric of my life doesn't entirely unravel. I once looked hard for any reason to doubt... if I found one defect of character; or, more often than not, a defect I didn't like, I’d completely dismiss the person or idea. This comes from taking life too seriously and expecting everyone to act rationally; at least, according to my logic. Most of the time, in fact, my logic has a dropped stitch somewhere. It is this image of perfection I try to project that leaves me secretly feeling like a hypocrite because I come nowhere near my ideal of perfection. This is as suffocating to the spirit as locking a child indoors on a rainy day. In other words… I am better off if I just watch God play regardless of the weather.

geo 5,385

No comments:

Post a Comment