Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Get Even or Get Over It.


So our troubles, we think, are basically of our own making. They arise out of ourselves, and the alcoholic is an extreme example of self-will run riot, though he usually doesn’t think so. Above everything, we alcoholics must be rid of this selfishness. We must, or it kills us!
 As Bill Sees It, p. 272
*****

When this paragraph is read today, I simply nod in agreement. However, this was not how I reacted when I first heard it. I would have never admitted I thought of myself as a victim rather than a provocateur and, if I stepped on your toes, you certainly deserved it.  I refused to admit to victim-hood because I didn't know how much of a victim I had become of my own self-centered delusions. My common reaction was to get even to how others responded, “seemingly without provocation”, when I “stepped on their toes”. I thought I would not be a victim if I got even rather than to make an attempt to see my part in the conflict. Gradually… and I do mean gradually, I began to see how my actions affected others.
The way I become free of being a victim is no longer to retaliate for the way I have been treated but to take an action that would have been repulsive to me at one time. Of course, I am no one’s doormat but I have found that, instead, it is most important to scrutinize my own behavior through the eyes of any perceived nemesis. I have found that, if I am a victim at all, I am a victim of my own blindness along these lines.


geo, 4,618

No comments:

Post a Comment