Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Social Media and Anonymity



It isn't likely that the
paparazzi will
meet me on my driveway
today.
1. “While the so-called public meeting is questioned by many A.A. members, I favor it myself providing only that anonymity is respected in press reports and that we ask nothing for ourselves except understanding.”

*****

2. The principle of anonymity is one of the most precarious ones of the Twelve Traditions and this is especially true with the explosion of social media. We can wonder, with the availability of the internet, why we should hold back? I have a blog that I post on facebook and my name headlines on it. In that blog I do mention AA from time to time. Indeed, I even quote directly from AA literature. However, my membership in AA is only implied. My primary reason for skirting this principle is honesty with where my inspiration comes from. This being the case, I don’t wish to give the impression that my opinions represent AA in any way. I also feel somewhat protected by the fact that my blogs and posts are read only by a close circle of friends and family who already know of my association with AA. I doubt if the general public knows or cares about my facebook posts or blogs and I don’t expect the paparazzi to be awaiting my departures and arrivals.


1.  AS BILL SEES IT, 278: LETTER, 1949
2. geo 4,624

No comments:

Post a Comment