Wednesday, February 22, 2012

I Sit


In the morning, when I rise, I sit before one of the little altars I have made up around my place. The items there are not to worship as idols. They are there to bring my mind back to the task at hand if my mind strays. These items are things such as family pictures, perhaps a shell I found on the beach, a pinecone in the woods, a picture of someone that inspires me (like Mark Twain or Jack Kerouac) and a statuette or icon of an Enlightened Saint (such as one of the Buddhas or Christs).

It is often here, where I sit, that my day is laid out before me. I then get off my cushion and do the dishes; go to my desk to write, go shopping for my daily provisions and get myself to a meeting where I sit for another hour. But, because I sit, I am ready for whatever comes down the pike to leave all my plans for the serendipity the day lies at my feet.

When I lay my head down on a pillow at night, my day is complete. I thank the Heart of Compassion for another day sober. I don’t say this to boast of my spiritual discipline but to make apparent how alcoholism made my life such a mess that I need to be to go about these things religiously in order to do more than to merely survive. I am grateful for that too. If it weren’t for my alcoholism I might have never explored and found the spiritual foundation of a life consumed by the miracle of recovery.


geo, 4,632

No comments:

Post a Comment